Monday 19 November 2012

Flash Fiction II

Here's another piece of flash fiction based on snippets of conversation, this piece was written by Liz

"Can I get the bus to Sainsbury's from this stop"

It was an absolutely crap day. It was cold, wet, miserable and I had a hell of a journey to work. Added to that, I had got in late from a disastrous date, my cat was sick and my feet hurt - I love those shoes to pieces, but boy! do they pinch.

At lunch time, I went to the cafeteria with my best mate, Claire, and we had a couple of lattes and what passes for a salad. I have to lose some weight, and Claire is just a big fat mare these days, but says she is dieting. I stirred sweetener into my skinny latte, and watched her shovel sugar into her full fat one. I think she had hazelnut syrup too.

‘You going out tonight?’ I asked her

‘Nah. Staying in with Pete and mum’

Pete is her god awful boyfriend, still I suppose she’s lucky to get anyone, the way she looks.

‘Washing your hair?’ I commented

‘No, doesn’t need it yet’

That’s what you think, I mused, gazing at the lank ponytail dangling over her shoulder. Poor lamb - definitely behind the door when looks were given out, in my opinion.

Luc from accounts strolled over - Claire and I had been eyeing him up for months - and I once sort of cornered him in the stationery cupboard, and hinted as hard as I could with out actually taking my clothes off that I fancied the pants off of him. He sat down next to Claire.

‘Hi, gorgeous’, he murmured ‘Still on for later?’

Claire giggled. ‘Oh, Yes! meet you at the bus stop?’ And off he went, to get his power shake and diet coke. ( He has got the most amazing body - I had felt his muscles under his shirt that day in the cupboard...’

‘CLAIRE! You said you were staying in with you mum and Pete.’

“I am. But I’m going to see an exhibition with Luc first. It’s supposed to be really good. That one in the gallery in town’

I sniffed. “Load of rubbish. I think I’ll go to the flicks. That boy from Morgan Stanley asked me - you know, the one Amanda used to go out with?’

‘Oh damn, look at the time...we’d better dash’

I spent the afternoon at my desk, looking out over the Thames. I was really upset this time. Plain Claire, with her spots, greasy hair and fat, was going out with Luc. I’d fix her..and him.

I made a few phone calls and smiled to myself. That would teach them. I hadn’t been born in the East End for nothing...I even went and made old fatty a coffee, and bought her a doughnut - I’m nothing if not all heart.

Fancy going shopping on Saturday? I asked her ‘I thought perhaps we could go up west and have a real girly day out?’

‘Oh, sorry, Tara, Pete’s taking me to Paris for the night. Eurostar’

Oh, lucky you...’I went back to my cubicle. Well, that fat bitch wouldn’t be gong anywhere near he champs Elysee, if I had my way. And that’s what I always get, MY WAY!

I clock watched all afternoon - at 6 o’clock, we put on out coats and walked down to the lobby. Luc was there, looking gorgeous, with a bunch of flowers. I saw who I was waiting for and winked at him. he followed us out to the bus stop and stood next to me. I turned to him and then grabbed hold of Claire’s arm

‘Can I get the bus from Sainsbury’s from this stop?’

The man behind me smiled, and I saw the merest hint of the outline of a cosh in his hand - we all got on the bus, and I leapt out as soon as I decently could. I knew that I would not be having to listen to Claire’s bragging again.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh - nice twist at the end - they don't call jealousy the green-eyed monster for nothing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete